The IHC – IH Certificate in Teaching English
IHC – International House Certificate in Teaching English -
The IHC is a certificate issued by the IHWO (International House World Organisation) based on a course which trains you to teach English or any other foreign language to adults. The IHC proves your professional eligibility as a teacher of English - get your certification here in Hamburg!
Language teachers already working with adults or language teachers with little or no professional experience who want to learn the basics of language didactics and to apply this knowledge in real language lessons; teachers who have taught other subjects than languages
- This course teaches you how you successfully plan and give lessons, it also consists of written assignments and group discussions.
- All these activities are designed and supervised by experienced teacher trainers, face-to-face as well as online. They are always willing to give you helpful feedback and to encourage your constant self-evaluation.
- Topics included are: finding the right teaching materials and preparing your lesson, successful classroom management, how to motivate your students, awareness of language and dealing with frequent learning difficulties.
Syllabus and evaluation
- This training is partly online, whereas teaching practice is done face to face. It consists of fourteen mandatory modules, with a few optional modules towards the end of the course.
- There are three main fields candidates are assessed on: course work, written assignments and teaching practice, which comprises of at least six hours of teaching practice on two different levels.
- This training is held by experienced tutors with an online tutoring qualification. Our local tutor carries out the observations; the IH Assessment Unit moderates the final portfolio.
The IHC not only enables you to successfully plan and give language lessons, it is also one of the best references you can provide when you apply for a teaching position for adults.